Canadian Birth Photographers Code of Conduct
Canadian Birth Photographers is committed to connecting Canadian parents with professional birth photographers and upholding the highest professional and ethical standards. In keeping with this mandate, its members have adopted the following Code of Conduct. This code emphasizes the importance of the birth process, the privacy of our clients, and respect for other birth professionals (doulas, medical professionals, and other birth photographers).
Duty to Our Clients
Duty to Our Clients
- My primary responsibility is to my clients. I will act, at all times, in accordance with the highest standards of professional and personal integrity.
- I will provide photography services that are considerate of the needs of a birthing woman and which respect the dignity of my clients at all times.
- I will respect a woman’s right of informed choice and consent in birthing and document those choices without judgment.
- I will, at all times, apply my best efforts towards providing exceptional birth photography services to my clients including providing images equal to or superior to the samples that I display.
- I will use a birth photography contract that clearly outlines the rights and obligations of both the photographer and the client. I will explain my availability and fee structure clearly to my clients including the services provided, on call period, terms of payment and refund policies.
- I shall respect the privacy rights of my clients above all other marketing and professional goals. I will include a privacy statement in my birth photography contract stating whether, how and when images will be published and whether consent to publish images may be revoked.
- I will engage in continuing education activities (courses, reading, etc.) to ensure current competencies in both photography and birth knowledge. I will obtain and upgrade equipment as necessary to provide professional quality images to my clients always ensuring that I have backup equipment in the event of a failure at a birth.
- I will treat all other birth professionals (doctors, midwives, nurses and doulas) with courtesy, respect and fairness at all times. I will consider all reasonable requests for privacy and respect the instructions of medical professionals.
- I will support and encourage the growth of birth photography in my city and across Canada. I will demonstrate friendliness and cooperation to fellow birth photographers, sharing my knowledge and encouraging others to collectively achieve and maintain the highest standards of quality and service.
- I will price my services ensuring that they are fair, reasonable, and commensurate with the services performed. I will not engage in anti-competitive pricing behaviors or provide birth photography services at a loss beyond a portfolio building period. I may, however, provide services on a sliding scale where finances are a barrier to access and may provide birth photography at low or no cost to friends and family.
- As a birth professional, I shall do my part to promote the health of women and their babies in areas such as healthy birth choices, breast feeding and birth education, where appropriate.
If you would like to submit a concern with a member of Canadian Birth Photographers in regards to the Code of Conduct, please do so here.